Open Up is an album of original multi-layered piano music, created through a mixture of composition, improvisation, and orchestration. Every part was recorded on – or inside – an acoustic grand piano, followed by detailed mixing and layering to achieve a multi-dimensional experience through repetition and fragmentation. Released July 2021.
“Elements of Open Up intensely grab the attention of the listener… layers, patterns, motifs interlacing each other creating a sort of crazy musical quilt… it is pentatonic percussive music, and it grooves.”Doug Thomas, Composer
- People Watching – dynamic track with driving energy. Watch the video here.
- Believe – anthem about determination and believing in yourself.
- The Hill We Climb – lyrical track, inspired by Amanda Gorman’s fabulous inauguration poem from January 2021. Solo piano score coming soon.
- Just Keep Going – upbeat track that starts with chorale-like chords, then builds after the beat starts to multi-layered anthemic music.
- Lockdown Boogie – fast boogie-woogie-inspired workout for the left hand! Solo piano score coming soon.
- Anticipation – post-minimalist track that builds energy through overlapping pulsating fragments of music, with lots of distortion and resonance added to the mix.
- Whale Song – slow and sad track, inspired by an old wildlife documentary about declining wildlife populations. Solo piano score coming soon. Watch the video here.
- Relentless – neoclassical track that pulsates with energy and builds an quasi-orchestral texture through layering with expansive percussive sounds from the piano strings.
- Storm – short, energetic track, inspired by an epic storm. Solo piano score coming soon. Watch the video here.
- Falling Light – peaceful track, inspired by shards of sunlight falling between the forest trees. Solo piano score coming soon. Watch the video here.
- Without Voice – the longest and most musically complex track on the album, with distinct sections and some surprising harmonic changes; originally composed as a song about speaking up for those who can’t speak up for themselves.